Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Gettin' This Show on the Road

First off, thank you Laura for sharing the chords/lyrics and videos to "A Few Old Memories."  I'll figure out a way to get those linked up on the sidebar for easy access.

Last Sunday's gathering was eventful!  We have two opportunities coming to play for an audience: the Jim Scott concert celebrating Pete Seeger at the end of May (either the 29th or 31st, TBD), and the Music Sunday service at UUFD on August 23rd.

These are some possibilities we tried out for the set list in May.  Let's polish them up separately as well as we are able, then we can hear what needs refining when we gather again on the 10th.  I look forward to figuring out who wants to claim which harmonies.

My Rainbow Race - Pete Seeger (key of G?)
Turn, Turn, Turn - Pete Seeger (key of C)
Everything is Holy Now - Peter Mayer (key of D)

Although we didn't play it last session, we've practiced "Paradise" enough (see sidebar) that I think we could put it together in time.  Likewise "I'll Fly Away."

Finally, Nathan and I discovered our mutual enthusiasm for Dolly Parton's cover of "Shine" (by Collective Soul).  Let's see if I can link to the video...



And yep, it really is just G, C, & D.  That'll be a fun experiment next session, too.  Harmony!


12 comments:

  1. Can't play my banjo without banjo strings! You've inspired me to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a used banjo for sale at Ax in Hand right now. I saw it and wondered if it was a sign that I should learn to play. ;)

      Delete
  2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbPl91kTFro

    Pete's original Turn Turn Turn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, this will be helpful for the tricky rhythm areas. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxXzD0eQQBg

    oh my goodness, check out the chorus, the chorus SINGING the chorus on Rainbow Race. my first time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love this. I'm so glad Howard introduced us to it.

      Delete
  4. [Chorus]
    One blue sky above us
    One ocean lapping all our shore
    One earth so green and round
    Who could ask for more
    And because I love you
    I'll give it one more try
    To show my rainbow race
    It's too soon to die.

    Some folks want to be like an ostrich,
    Bury their heads in the sand.
    Some hope that plastic dreams
    Can unclench all those greedy hands.
    Some hope to take the easy way:
    Poisons, bombs. They think we need 'em.
    Don't you know you can't kill all the unbelievers?
    There's no shortcut to freedom.

    [Chorus]

    Go tell, go tell all the little children.
    Tell all the mothers and fathers too.
    Now's our last chance to learn to share
    What's been given to me and you.

    [Chorus]



    Read more: Pete Seeger - My Rainbow Race Lyrics | MetroLyrics

    Last post for the night. Promise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I learned a barred cheater version of Shine on the banjo. also totally jacked my restring job. but still playing. super fun. Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My banjo now has a new head and new strings. I' letting it sit a day with the strings nearly tuned so that they stay in tune better. Changing the banjo head was NOT a fun job.

      Delete
    2. Yayyy, banjo! Thanks for fighting the good fight. ;)

      Delete
  6. The Jim Scott performance is set for 7 p.m. on Sunday, May 31. We will go on first and perform about 4 songs

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope that maybe somebody can help with a couple of tasks when we get to the Jim Scott concert day. I need to put about 50 additional chairs around the Sanctuary in a few key locations. Then there is the task of collecting tickets.Or anything else that you think would make matters better.

    ReplyDelete